I did my 8th workout day, and my 4th with my trainer, Bernard. I was up at 4:30 AM, after a somewhat fitful nights sleep, and into the gym just before 6 AM. I did a five minute warmup on the elliptical, and then we began a lower body workout.
(NOTE: In an effort to keep these entries lean, I’m not going to repeat the details of an exercise if I have described it in a previous entry. If there was something interesting about it, I’ll note it. For new exercises, I will continue to describe them.)
Turns out we had time for three exercise groups today and I think that was in part because I am still getting over my cold.
Exercise Group 1: three sets each of the following:
- Leg press (1st set at 90 lbs, 2nd and 3rd sets at 110 lbs)
- Seated abdominal crunches (20, 20, 25)
- Jumping rope (30, 30, 35)
Exercise Group 2: three sets each of the following:
- Leg curls (hamstrings). Each set was at 60 lbs. These were pretty easy. You sit on the machine with a bar down against your quads and you ankles against another bar. Then, bending at the knee, you pull down the bar with your ankles as far back as you can, and then bring it back up. Repeat.
- Jump squats. This is the toughest exercise I have done so far. There is a platform about 9 inches above the ground. You start from a squatting position on the floor, jump onto the platform and land in a squat. Then you jump back off the platform to the floor and land in a squat. All three sets had 12 reps and by the time I got to 9 I could feel my hamstrings straining.
- Abdominal crunches (25, 25, 30)
Exercise Group 3: three sets each of the following:
- Leg extensions (quads). Three sets at 45 lbs each.
- Seated inclined calf [lifts]. This machine you sort of sit inclined with the balls of your feet on a bar. You lift the weights by straightening your legs. Then you “stand” on your toes, and the let your feet come back down so your are stretching your calves. Essentially, all of the lifting here is being done by your calves. All three sets at 80 lbs.
- Jumping jacks (30, 40, 40)
The session ended, as usual with stretching. Bernard looked over my meal log and said he could see that it has improved (I have been eating a lot more fruits and vegetables, several times a day.) He also said I should start on a multi-vitimin, so I will go out today and get some.
Next session is tomorrow afternoon, at 4 PM. I need to keep stretching throughout the day to keep the muscles loose for softball tonight. I may do a cardio session before the game (the game isn’t until 7 PM).