Summer has arrived, and it did so in mist and gloom, at least here in the metropolitan Washington, D.C. area. We took the kids to the National Zoo early today, and got to hang out with fellow Analog writer, and friend, Juliette Wade and her family. This evening, we are celebrating a friend’s birthday party by going to see an 80s cover band.
I’ve been pretty swamped lately, and so rather than making lots of little posts, here is a summary of various things that have been going on in my world this last week or so.
1. I have new freelance writing gig, which I believe will start up middle of next week. I’m excited about this one. It marks a significant step forward in my writing career. But I’m holding all of the details back until I can point you to the initial results, so stay-tuned.
2. I am participating in the Clarion Write-A-Thon this year. Since I’m already writing every day, I might as well try to raise some money for a good cause by doing it. You can find the full details here, but the Write-A-Thon begins tomorrow, and continues for 6 weeks. Expect weekly updates of my progress.
3. In other writing news, I’ve passed 33,000 words in the first 20 days of the month, and about 150,000 words year-to-day. I’ve written now for 335 consecutive days, and for 477 out of the last 479 days.
4. I finished reading A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving earlier in the week. First Irving I’ve ever read, and contains what has to be the single funniest scene I’ve ever read. I really liked the book. Since then, I’ve been enjoying Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon.
5. The Little Man graduated from pre-school on Thursday with a nice little graduation ceremony in which the graduates sang songs, and wore the cap and gown, and moved their tassels from left to right when they graduated. He will continue at the school through the summer, and then move to his new school to start kindergarten. I’m so proud of him.
6. We’ve taken the training wheels off the Little Man’s bike. Since then, we’ve gone to the park twice to practice. Very rocky the first time, much better the second. I think one or two more sessions and he’ll be riding on his own.
7. Our kitchen remodel wrapped up last week, but I haven’t had time to post the final pictures. I will do that soon. But spoiler alert: WE LOVE IT!
8. Our summer vacation is almost upon us and not a moment too soon. With the house-sitter arranged (so that the cats don’t go hungry), we will be off to our annual summer trek up to Maine in week. We’ll be stopping near Albany, NY to see some good friends, and to spend a day with them in Saratoga Springs. Then it’s on to Maine, and small town relaxation.
9. In a most unlikely turn of events, Kelly, who would barely consider herself a fan of science fiction, has become addicted to Doctor Who. That means that I have been watching the show, although mostly through osmosis.
Clearly, I’m keeping busy, and that has taken some time away from my posting here, but I’ve been trying not to allow more than a day go by without posting something. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to finish up some writing, and then get ready for the date night tonight.