Remember how I finished the first draft of my first novel back in September? I set it aside to work on short stories and plan to come back to it in December to begin the process of writing a second draft, which is a complete rewrite for me.
Now, I realize that I am the “paperless” guy, but I just had to see what the first draft looked like when printed out. After all, it is my first novel. So last night, I moved the draft from Google Docs into Scrivener so that I could compile a manuscript. I printed out the manuscript today and this is the result1:
The draft came in at 92,000 words, once I eliminated my notes from the manuscript. The printed draft is 390 pages long and looks to be over 2 inches thick!
I know it is a little silly to print it out, but there is something that feels good about actually holding the manuscript that I spent 5-1/2 months producing. And the paper will not go to waste. After I am done with it, it will supply plenty of great drawing paper for the kids.
- One of the Little Man’s many Hot Wheels cars is sitting beside the manuscript, paused in admiration of such a remarkably thick sheaf of paper. ↩