I did a little bit of work on the March story last night. As I see it, there are 13 scenes in the story. I rewrote the opening scene, cutting it from 1,300 down to around 1,000 words, but I think it is still too long. If I learned one thing in the Gunn workshop it was that you have to get into the story quickly. So I think I’m going to do away with the first scene completely and start later in the story.
I have always had a hard time doing this because I often find myself really liking the writing of a particular scene, even if it doesn’t fit well and I do my best to keep it in the story. I’m learning to back away from that, but I hate throwing anything away, so I came up with this idea for keeping my “deleted scenes”. Since I use Scrivener for my writing, it’s easy. I create a folder in my story project and call it “Deleted Scenes”. Then, rather than blowing the scene away (which is what I used to do), I move it to the Deleted Scenes folder. Think of it as a kind of retirement home for scenes that won’t get used in the final product. (And I configure Scrivener not to include that folder in the compiled manuscript). It makes me feel better about not losing the scene entirely, even if it doesn’t get into the story.
The story also has a new title, one that is much better than the previous working title of “Funeral Day”.