Doug twittered me the other day asking if it was difficult for me to put together the new website. Since I couldn’t answer his question in 140 characters, I told him I’d send an email. When I got around to composing the email today, I decided it would make a better post, as there might be a few people out there other than Doug who are interested in this. So this post is all about how I put together the new jamierubin.net. It is a kind of half-sibling sequel to my earlier post on consolidating my on-line presence.
Wow! I accidentally delete about 1,200 words out of this post and it was between auto-saves. I think it was my fault and not Word Press. Anyway…
What Doug needs to do to manage and maintain his own site
You probably don’t need as much integration as I do so things might be a little easier for you. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Find a domain registrar to register your domain (if you haven’t already done so)
- Find a domain host, to host your domain. I use DirectNic and I like them. I’ve also heard good things about 1and1.com, and I believe they have direct support for WordPress and MySQL.
- Get Word Press installed and configured on your website. Use their famous 5 minute installation.
- Browse themes and find one that is close to what you like. You may be able to use it “out of the box” without any modification. Otherwise…
- Customize the theme until you get it looking the way you want
- Integrate it with other applications (like twitter or youtube, etc.)
- Start creating content
- Let people know it’s out there
And of course, if you need any help, give me a call.