I spent a good portion of the day today cleaning house. I vacuumed, dusted, swept, mopped, scrubbed, you name it. I even cleaned the inside and outside of all of the windows. Today was also the first warm and humid day of the year, reaching well into the 80s with humidity to boot. It was the conjunction of floor mopping and humidity that caused the accident.
I was in my office when I heard my phone buzzing out in the kitchen. I was expecting a call, so I dropped what I was doing to ran to the kitchen, the floor of which I had mopped several hours earlier. As soon as my foot touched the kitchen floor, it went out from under me, and I tumbled back, knocking down a chair, knocking my phone on the floor, and landing on my elbow.
Luckily, neither chair, floor, phone or elbow was seriously injured. It was the first time I had taken a dive like that in years.
I pieced it together later. The high humidity made it almost impossible for the floor to dry quickly and what, in winter, takes a short time to dry, today took hours. It was the slick floor that caused me to slip, and therefore, my misplaced desire to clean the house it to blame.
As a follow-up to my lawn mowing earlier in the week, I filled up on gas and prepared to mow the back yard today. And wouldn’t you know it, after praising my lawn-mower to the skies earlier in the week, I couldn’t get it to start today. Maybe it was the humidity.