It has been a hectic day and I haven’t had much time to check in here. I only have a few moments right now so here are a few things that I wanted to mention:
- There is a norovirus making its way through Virginia. The Little Miss got sick yesterday afternoon, and the Little Man got sick last night. Fortunately it was just once for each of them. We fully expected to get it as well, but so far, we seem to have avoided it. That said, both kids were home sick today.
- The latest installment of Grady Hendrix’s Great Stephen King Reread appeared today over at Tor.com. In this week’s installment, Hendrix discusses the Richard Bachman novel, Thinner. It was bittersweet. I really like this feature but Hendrix was only planning on covering the first decade or so of King’s career. He’s suggested he might also revisit Misery and It, both of which I’d love to see. Meanwhile, if you haven’t yet checked out the feature, and you like Stephen King’s writing, you should head on over and give it a shot.
- We’ve had some dramatic changes in weather the last week, going from below freezing and snow, to 70 degrees with wind and thunder. And tonight, we are back to snow, with flurries expected on and off over the next several days.
- Tomorrow, the February issue of Lightspeed comes out. The e-book version contains an article of mine1, “Hat Tip to the Masters” which is a kind of brief history of homage in science fiction and fantasy.
- Did you see the completely revamped Penultimate 4 that Evernote released today2? It is an impressive upgrade. They also released a major update to Evernote Hello. I’d never really used Hello, but with this update, I think I’ll be using it a lot more.
- I’ve had my Google Chromebook for a week and so far, I like it. I need a little bit more time to evaluate it, but you can expect a post in the near future where I talk about my experience with it.
- I’m nearly finished reading Impulse by Steven Gould. I’ll be reviewing the book in my February review column for InterGalactic Medicine Show. But I will say that I’ve had a lot of fun reading it.
- I’m having an equal amount of fun reading a book that I came across on Brainpickings called This Explains Everything. It’s an eclectic mix of 150 essays by all sorts of people on their favorite, most elegant explanations about science, nature, culture, etc. It makes for fascinating reading.
- I’m making progress on a new story. We’ll see how it goes.
- I’ve got nothing for #10
That’s it for now!
- My article is exclusive to the e-book edition of Lightspeed and is not part of the free content available on the website. ↩
- I love Penultimate and use it frequently as a commonplace book, as well as listing out the things I want to get done each day. ↩