After a month of reading the NaNoWriMo novel, tearing apart the first section, annotating it, and a lot of thinking, I finally got around to writing the first actually words of the new novelette, working title of “Rescue” yesterday afternoon. I managed just about 1,400 words, interrupted by the Little Man who was napped and suddenly needed someone to nap on. But once he had his nap, I was able to return to the story and spend about an hour and a half writing the first scene.
The story has two view point characters and the scenes alternate between those viewpoints. I am trying to end each scene in a cliffhanger. There are basically, therefore, two story lines, interwoven, and gradually coming together at the climax of the story.
I’m pretty pleased with what I wrote yesterday. The first scene, of course, has to grab the reader’s attention right away, but also needs to provide some back story without losing the reader. While I still think what I have is first-draft quality, I think I did a pretty good job at managing these two tasks. Hopefully, by the time you are reading this, I’ve already written the second scene and things are well underway. I’d like to be able to keep this up, and get back to regular writing every day.
Here I am writing: